Roadcheck 2013 Dates are confirmed and you can all start to get ready for it now. Mark June 4-6 down on your calendars as the annual 72 hour enforcement blitz dates for 2013.
Roadcheck’s annual safety blitz is an international cooperative event that takes in Canada, United States and Mexico. With an average of 14 trucks or buses being inspected every minute! It’s likely if you’re on the road, you will be inspected. Now is the time to refresh yourself and your drivers to make this year’s event the best ever.
Last year’s Roadcheck saw an overall out of service rate of 20.9% for vehicles and 4.6% for drivers which was a slight increase over 2011 numbers. They also inspected 74,072 trucks and buses in the 72 hour period.
Roadcheck emphasizes a back to basics focus on safety and compliance. There are a few simple steps you can take to make sure both your vehicles and driver are meeting today’s tough standards.
CVSA provides a Roadcheck checklist for drivers. Included in it are tips such as:
- Buckle up.
- Pre-inspect the condition of your vehicle and check for load securement issues.
- Check your brakes.
- Inspect coupling devices.
- Ensure all required lamps are the proper color and operational.
- Check for loose fuel tank mountings, leaks, etc.
- Look over your tires and check for proper inflation, cuts, bulges, etc.
- Make sure your log books are up to date and accurate.