Owners of heavy highway vehicles should mark Aug. 31 on their calendars. That’s the deadline to file Form 2290, Heavy Highway Vehicle Use Tax Return. Here are some things that these vehicle owners should know about this form:
- The highway use tax applies to highway motor vehicles with a taxable gross weight of 55,000 pounds or more.
- The weight limit generally includes large trucks, truck tractors and buses.
- The tax is based on the weight of the vehicle and a variety of special rules apply. These special rules are explained in the instructions to Form 2290.
- Taxpayers may now pay the heavy highway vehicle use tax with a debit card or credit card. Payment can be made over the internet, phone or mobile device.
- Some taxpayers have the option of filing Form 2290 on paper. However, taxpayers with 25 or more taxed vehicles must e-file Form 2290.
- Vehicle owners must file returns and make tax payments by August 31, 2018, for vehicles used on the road during July.
- All owners should consider filing and paying electronically. They don’t need to visit an IRS office because owners can file the form and pay any required tax.
- Generally, e-filers receive their IRS-stamped Schedule 1 electronically minutes after filing. They can then print the Schedule-1 and provide it to their state department of motor vehicles, without visiting an IRS office.
- For those who want face-to-face service, all IRS Taxpayer Assistance Centers now operate by appointment and taxpayers can call 844-545-5640 to schedule one.
For many truckers, report Heavy Highway Vehicle Use Tax in August 31 irrespective of your earlier filing date.
Anyone who registers a heavy highway motor vehicle in their name with a gross weight of 55,000 pounds or more must file Form 2290, Heavy Highway Vehicle Use Tax Return. For many, the filing deadline is August 31. A taxpayer who uses a heavy highway motor vehicle on a public highway beginning in July 2018 must file Form 2290 and pay any tax due for the vehicle by August 31, 2018. If a taxpayer uses an additional heavy highway motor vehicle on a public highway after July 2018, the taxpayer must file a Form 2290 by the last day of the month following the month of first use of the additional vehicle. You can efile it by prorating your tax based on your first used month.
EIN is a must to eFile 2290 taxes
Taxpayers need an employer identification number (EIN) to file Form 2290. They can apply using an online application. Applicants should generally allow two weeks for processing the application before they can file their return.
Pay 2290 tax using your credit / debit card
Taxpayers may now use a credit card or debit card to pay the Heavy Highway Vehicle Use Tax. Taxpayers can make tax payments by internet, phone or mobile device whether they e-file or mail in their return.
Other payment methods:
- Electronic funds withdrawal. Also referred as Direct Debit. Taxpayers may authorize a direct debit as part of the e-file process while efiling your 2290 return.
- Electronic Federal Tax Payment System. This requires advanced enrollment and takes 5-7 business days for new accounts.
- Check or money order using Form 2290-V, Payment Voucher. Mail to: Internal Revenue Service, P.O. Box 804525, Cincinnati, OH 45280-4525.
The IRS will electronically send an IRS-stamped Schedule 1 to filers minutes after e-filing. The taxpayer uses the stamped Schedule 1 as proof of payment when registering their vehicle with the state Department of Motor Vehicles. Taxpayers should use a quality printer to adequately show the watermark when presenting copies to the DMV. When you efile your return gets processed faster than any other means, your IRS watermarked Schedule-1 is made available in minutes to your inbox, you may also download a copy anytime from anywhere. You could also subscribe for FAX copies of it while you efile 2290s.
HVUT Form 2290 eFile is as easy as 1-2-3!!!